Friday, August 27, 2010

Not planning to quit my day job!!







Last night it was cold and rainy so a few of the guys decided it would be fun to go fishing. I am fighting a cold and haven't really felt well for a little over a week now so naturally I thought it would be a good idea to join them on their fishing adventure. This was going to be my third attempt at salmon fishing since moving here and I didn't think it could possibly get any worse than the 2nd trip out when I didn't get one bite in the 2 hours we were out there.


So I dug out my new rain pants that Brie bought me in Dillingham along with my rubber boots and rain coat and a stocking hat. Maybe you are asking yourself why I would wear a stocking hat when its raining outside; well I have no solid answer for you. It kept my ears warm and my head warm for the most part but I think it was my hooded sweatshirt that did most of the work. We headed down to the beach to load up the boat and Ron and I got stuck down there while Kyle and Ben had to come back up to get some eye protection for Ben. Standing on the beach is not fun at all because we get destroyed by mosquitoes. I have never doubted that I am made of sugar but sometimes its ridiculous.

We ventured out to our normal shore fishing spot. You cant really fish along the banks here because the shore is not easily accessible unless you have waist high water proof pants which I don't and do not intend on buying any. They look like rubber long underwear!! Way to form fitting for my liking. So we get to our location and my night starts out great. My first cast went all the way across the river and got stuck on the other bank. It was fun trying to get that unsnagged. My 2nd cast got snagged with one of the other guys, so unless you cant count, I am not 2 for 2 on snagging the hook. My third cast floated out into the river, obviously I thought things were good until I tried to reel it back in and it was stuck. Oh yes I got it snagged in the middle of the river. I wasn't so lucky this time around getting it unsnagged. I pulled and pulled and eventually it came loose but when I reeled it in I noticed I was missing half of my setup. The hook and part of the line decided to stay in the water. I felt really bad because it looked brand new or at least just hadn't been used before but Kyle wasn't upset because didn't really care for that spinner.


After getting snagged three times in a row I decided to move and fish where I was less likely to snag something. Once again I did not have any lucky with the bites. Everyone around me was catching fish and I was the one catching seaweed and junk. After about an hour or so of getting nothing I decided to move back to where I was originally; I cast the line out a few times with no snags or bites but at this point I was happy to just not have any snags. During this one particular cast I noticed more than just the line went flying into the river; the top half of my pole decided to come apart and fly into the river as well. I didn't freak out but quietly tried to get someones attention and it all worked out. I just had to reel in the line and the pole came with it. I got everyone all reset and ready to cast out again and when I did I noticed the spinner flew a bit further than normal and so I just started to reel everything in like normal and then I noticed my spinner hand flown off during the cast!! I couldn't believe it. I nearly lose the pole the cast before and now the spinner breaks off in mid flight. Why did I go fishing again?? At this point I cannot answer that question and I am sure Kyle will not be inviting me go to fishing again since the equipment I was using was his.


Anyways, Kyle and Ben decided to stop fishing and clean/cut the salmon they got. Kyle said I could use his other pole until they were done and we were ready to head home. I hesitated but grabbed it anyway and started fishing again. I wasn't getting any bites once again so the frustration started to mount. I decided to give it a few more attempts before hanging up the pole and to my startled surprise I hooked a decent sized salmon. They put up quite the fight sometimes but its very enjoyable reeling them in.


All-in-all it was a frustrating and cold evening of fishing. I caught one fish which made it all worth while though. I will go out fishing again but I might wait until my pole and other equipment get here. I wouldn't have felt so bad about losing the equipment had it been mine.


Brandon

No comments:

Post a Comment