Saturday, August 21, 2010

Granny-Gopher-Guts Wannabe







Well, it's a rainy, 46 degree day out here in the bush. It's literally put a damper on our plans to go down and fish with Dani and Ron, as Brandon and I both have had sore throats for a few days and don't want to push them with cold, wet weather. So, we're cleaning and baking and listening to Songza with the new speakers we bought. I've learned I'm at my peak of productivity when I have some noise motivating me, so Brandon ran upstairs and grabbed the new speakers so I'd make him some homemade cinnamon rolls. I'm watching them bake as we speak and I can't help but think of my mother as I do so. She's always been the queen in the kitchen, and with any luck at all, I hope to be half as good at multi-tasking as a homemaker and mother as she's been. The cinnamon rolls look good, but part of me worries they'll never measure up to her recipe. I'll stay optimistic though. I've had some success in the kitchen out here, with the exception of the time I attempted to make tatertots out of mashed potato flakes for a greenbean casserole. Needless to say, you can form mashed potatoes into any shape you want them, but ones you try to fry them, they struggle to maintain that shape.

Our apartment smelled like a fast-food joint for a couple of days, so I thought to use the apples we had that were rapidly ripening in the cupboard, for that homemade apple pie scent. Brandon peeled the apples and cubed them, while I made the crisp mixture. We were pleasantly surprised at our homemade dessert we took over to Dani and Ron's for game night. Thankfully, so were they. We topped it with a homemade frosting that I thought was a little too sweet, but feedback overall was that it was really stinkin' good. I feel so proud that Brandon and I are able to survive on what I make in the kitchen. No one's died yet, so I feel like I'm accomplishing things out here.



Brandon's becoming a home-brewer. He ordered a brewing kit on Tuesday, and promptly Thursday, we had a priority package sitting in our entry-way. Ben, our neighbor friend, came over and helped Brandon begin the process. Hopefully, in a week or two, we'll get to see what it's like to have our own home-brew. We have eight gallons to share with our neighbors and can't wait to host game night.

Well, I'm off to shower and do some cleaning around this place. I have a little work to do, but thought I'd blog and show off our baking skills.

Love and miss you all.

Brie

No comments:

Post a Comment