Wednesday, August 4, 2010

Betty Crocker in the Bush

I've never been much of a cook, at least as far as Brandon knows. I cooked a lot before we met, only because I was cooking for one, or sometimes one and a half (just kidding) when Jeannie was home. Honestly, how often does one go out to eat with themselves? Anyway, I love getting back into cooking mode. So far, we haven't had the same thing twice, and the ingredients we don't have yet or won't have, I've been pretty good about googling to find a replacement for. I made tuna and noodles last night, with no cream of mushroom soup. So, with the dried mushrooms Jim bought for us at the Tone's store, and the other spices we had in the cupboard, I followed a recipe for a mushroom sauce, that thickened into a homemade cream of mushroom soup. We had no garlic and no onions, but we had garlic and onion powder. Brandon was impressed with me in the kitchen for once, and was the other night, too. Apparently homemade brownies and cream of mushroom soup can capture even the pickiest eaters in rural Alaska.

Life out here is simple. Dad called this morning and was asking us about a plane crash we knew nothing about. While there's a definite need to keep up on current events, we didn't even realize how little we missed getting bad news on a daily basis from the media. I know Brandon frequents Fox News via the internet, but I haven't been so motivated to keep up with the times. I guess I'm just enjoying the fact that when I turn on the tv, it's intentional and not something done subconsciously out of sheer boredom. It takes more work to figure out the cords connected to our tv than it does to slide on our shoes and go for a walk.

I've worn make-up one day out of six out here, and I'd have to say it's a pretty liberating feeling to know that no one cares or notices whether I have eyeliner on or not. I'll probably still wear it from time to time, but I haven't hesitated leaving without a full-face of make-up or a wet ponytail. Anyway, that's about all she wrote for today. I thought my sisters would enjoy this last paragraph.

No comments:

Post a Comment