Tuesday, August 31, 2010

Haircut, House and Stovepop
















Well, it's been a week out of the ordinary, and it's only Tuesday. But living in Alaska, wouldn't you say every week is out of the ordinary? I suppose that's only when you're a lower-48er.


For every rough day I've had, I've had a dozen good ones, which is an accomplishment in and of itself. I've had my moments where I've wondered what in the hell we're doing out here. I've had moments where I've wondered why I'd ever leave comfortable for formidable, when feelings, relationships and senses in general seem to be magnified by a million, overshadowing the awesome views and similar paychecks. The highs are really high out here, but the lows are really low. And while it seems as though I'm struggling to fit the mold of a native Alaskan, I'd say I've quickly gone from a siding nail to a twisty tie in a matter of weeks. With that said, I'm thankful for the gravitational force my husband posesses when I'm feeling like an exaggerated version of myself that needs some momentary grounding.


The last few days have been exceptional. Sunday, I gave Brandon his first homemade haircut in the bush. Although Brandon didn't find any humor in the situation at all, I was hysterically laughing at my unsteadied hand and the new racing stripes I placed in the side of his head...and new bald spot placed above the nape of his neck. Luckily for him, I had a shy start and didn't cut as much off in the first pass as I'd end up needing to, and by the time I was finished, they'd blended well into his new do. Even if I had a slow start, I had one hell of a finish. Sport's Clips aint got nothin' on me!


School this week seems to be a dream. Last week I had doubts about my choice in career, and this week I couldn't think of doing anything else, or anywhere else for that matter. I've had good parent feedback, and felt the support from my colleagues and administrators I felt I was lacking. I feel like a child in saying this, but it seems that the smallest drop of positive feedback works wonders on my confidence. Tonight we had Open House, and the turn out was surprising. I had parents in my room, students in my room and Brandon there introducing himself to the community members as they entered. It was so nice to meet people. They've all been so welcoming and supportive. Some of them were too supportive. I found it funny how many of them wanted their children to "join" special ed. as if it were an afterschool club. One of the parents that stopped in invited me to steam, a native tradition they use as not only a cleaning ritual but a social gathering. I told them I'd love to do it, but that I had my reservations as I was a sensitive being to heat and have passed out numerous times as a result, but they said they'd be nice to me. I didn't tell them about my other reservation: nakedness. Bathing with others is not something I think I'll ever be comfortable with. Hopefully I'll find the courage to join them, or the perfect excuse to decline their offer without offending them.


I feel like I'm really beginning to develop relationships with the people around me. I feel the students are starting to understand my teaching style and personality, and they're giving me good feedback to become more effective in their learning. It's taken a lot of prep time and planning, but I feel like I'm getting into a routine...finally.


Tonight, Brandon and I are watching the third of the Lord of the Rings trilogy. We had barbecue chicken salads, compliments of the produce that came in on the plane to the P-Store. We spent $28 on two heads of lettuce, four tomatoes, an onion, a bag of grapes and a jar of dill pickles. That should hold us over until the $1300 + we spent Sunday on our order from SpanAlaska arrives via bypass mail. It might seem like a lot of money, but we purchased bulk everything. Between three apartments, we managed to buy 748 pounds of food, most of that coming to only two couples. Hopefully, we won't have to "grocery shop" until December.


I've made some "stovepop" or panned popcorn, mixed with peanut M&Ms. I'm feeling fulfilled after a successful couple of days at work, a meal that didn't consist of a canned or boxed item, and an evening snack that reminds me of high school ball games with my dad.


Love and miss you all,



Brie





No comments:

Post a Comment