Saturday, August 14, 2010

Finally Home


After a long Friday of Peak Training, I found myself yawning and willing to do almost anything to get my bags on the plane and head home. Unfortunately, I was scolded for the size of my bag when I began to load the air-taxi van that was shuttling us from the school building to the landing strip. While we had a chartered flight by the district, and we were told to pack in as much as we possibly could grocery-wise as it'd be the last time we'd be at a grocery store for a while, the air-taxi company had a different idea in mind. You'd think that a chartered flight for four would allow for at least an additional four to five hundred pounds of luggage to stay well below the 15oo max capacity, but the air-taxi company wanted to resituate to make room for additional people on our flight. On the way out to the landing strip, though the lady was fairly rude about the size of my bag, she was very nice to pull in and let us see the recovered tail-end of the plane that carried former-Senator Ted Stevens on his last flight with his friends. The small classic plane was missing the entire front end. It was such an unexpressable feeling to be so close to something in such a remote part of Alaska that made national news. It was a good reminder that history is happening all the time, everywhere, even when you're in the middle of nowhere.

After taking a moment to view the dismembered aircraft, we drove to our little 8 seater plane and began to transfer bags and boxes from the van to the plane. As we unloaded, we began to understand just how much we had and just how much we would not be able to take on the plane. Being the person I am, I found myself doing the same thing I always do. After being told to narrow down your items to what we'd absolutely need and to load it onto the plane, I grabbed my frozen food and two laptop bags and headed aboard, leaving my suitcase, books (including the binder that contains Brandon's passport, our birth certificates and banking information), and a box of bread and other food items I'd purchased throughout the week in Dillingham. The lady assured us that anyone who left items behind would have them dropped off on a latter flight, but of course, they didn't show last night, and we haven't seen them today, either. I wasn't so upset until I started to think about the contents of the bags. On that list are my: raincoat; rubber boots; a number of undergarments; two life jackets; gloves; canned goods; and last but most importantly, my glasses. And while I don't wear them often, when I do wear them, I really need them. I awoke with the beginnings of a cold and the drowsy feeling swelling in my eyes. All I wanted to do was throw on my glasses, and they're not here. We're hoping that once the wind dies down, a flight in will be carrying my bags, and I'll once again be a happy camper.

It's been nice to be home with Brandon once again. There will be a few times a year that I'll be required to attend some conferences regarding my job, but if we plan it out right, Brandon should be able to join me for at least one of the conferences in Anchorage in February. We've decided we're not fans of spending extended periods of time apart, especially when we're so far from family or a lifestyle we've grown accustomed to, but it's sure made us appreciate eachother when we are together. Brandon, being the Betty Crocker that he is, made homemade bread today, and even went as far as making homemade tomato soup to sooth my sore throat. We had grilled cheese sandwiches with his homemade bread, and Brandon, shockingly, ate a bowl of the tomato soup he made and liked it! He's surprised me with what he's willingly tried since our big move. Rumor has it he was eating salmon strips and salmon chowder with Lida and Kyle, and he even tasted an oatmeal raisin cookie that Ben shared with us. I'm telling you, at this rate, you're not going to recognize us by Christmas with all of the things we're trying and the lifestyle we're starting to live. We're loving it out here, loving the people, the landscape, and the sheer craziness of living outside of our comfort zone. I think everyone should try it at least every once in a while.

Signing out, here. I'm going to relax before heading back into work tomorrow. I have a lot to prepare for as my students start shuffling back into school on Tuesday. As always, we love and miss you all! Please, stay in touch. And when you call or text, PLEASE leave your number in the voice mail or text. None of our numbers register as numbers or names. They register as unknown and we don't have anyone's numbers from our old phone to return the call. Again, love you guys!

Brie

No comments:

Post a Comment