Saturday, November 13, 2010

The other side of the coin...

My last post was a little bit of a downer, and knowing how easy it is to spiral out of control in response to the force of gravity, I felt compelled to write a more upbeat “Top Ten” list to counterbalance my previous entry.

Top Ten Reasons to Live in Bush Alaska:

10. No matter how rough things get, eventually it gets so boring focusing on the negatives, that the only thing to do when you’re done is search out the positives.

  1. While still cold as hell, the snow falls in colossal-sized flakes that look like doilies blanketing the earth.
  1. Watching the same episodes or movies over and over again almost always gives you an opportunity to recognize something you didn’t notice before.
  1. Similar to number eight, interacting with the same people on a daily basis, in the same settings, with the same dynamics influencing each situation, almost always gives you an opportunity to recognize characteristics or value something in a person you didn’t recognize or value before.
  1. Without the hustle and bustle of city life, you have the time to explore and develop interests in ubiquitous objects. Suddenly, a box of crayons or packable snow can hold my attention for hours, and leave me with a sense of accomplishment lacking a trace of productivity when I’m finished.
  1. Distance truly does make the heart grow fonder.
  1. I’ve developed packing and traveling skills that force me to be prepared for anything, making me a much more laid-back and enjoyable person to travel with. Even ask Brandon!
  1. At the dinner table, there’s always room for one more, whether we’re visiting or having visitors, and that warmth and sense of belonging never fails to remind me of my wonderful parents.
  1. I’ve learned how to make Doritos out of tortilla chips, powdered cheese and taco seasoning.

  1. Homesickness is only a sign of how blessed one is to have someone to love, miss and look forward to reuniting with. I feel very sorry for people who take more pride in proving their independence to no one, than sharing a life with someone.

It truly is an amazing place out here, and I’d hate for my moments of pessimism to seep through and taint the perspective for anyone else wishing to experience this lifestyle; all because I didn’t have the right frame of mind to acknowledge the beauty of life in the Bush. Regardless of the situation, this experience is making me a better wife, and a better person. I’m learning to choose my battles and articulate my needs, both fronts I’ve been known to fall short on. And I’m really enjoying some of the more artistic sides of me that I haven’t really been in touch with since elementary school. It’s amazing how therapeutic crayons can be on a rough day. Anyway, I really am lucky to be out here with a wonderful, supportive husband, who seems to know just what to say when I need a break or some encouraging words. I’m also lucky to be getting the notes and conversations from the amazing friends and family back home. It's a time for giving thanks, so giving thanks is what I'm going to try to do.

Love you all,

Brie

No comments:

Post a Comment