Wednesday, September 8, 2010

Volleyball and Rainbows


Tonight, we had a wonderful time with our neighbors playing a few exciting games of volleyball. Peter, Tara, Dani, Ron, Brandon, Wass and I played a few games. Wass is our janitor and a native to New Stu. He was entertained by our lack of talent and his ease to whip us with his hops, but we had fun watching him laugh at us. An especially entertaining part of our game was when Tara, after a few less than spectacular shots, announced, "Hey, I'll have you all know that while you were all playing ball, I was milking goats!" We laughed for about 10 minutes, and automatically named her "The Angry Goat". Every time we've gotten together, we've learned a little more about each other. We're really enjoying our friends and colleagues out here. By the time Wass left, he had invited all the guys over for a muqii, or steam. Despite Brandon's apprehensive feelings towards attending the muqii, he packed his bags to join "only all the people we hang out with all the time". The man amazes me every day. God, I love him.

Before the boys headed down the hill to muqii, I headed to Dani's to watch another chick flick. We hadn't even started the movie when the door flung open and Ben was hollaring for us to come outside. We had no idea what the excitement was all about, but headed out anyway. By the time we had our shoes on and stepped out into the misting sunset, I saw something I'd never seen before. There before us, was a double rainbow, one with a full arc from one hillcrest to the other. I'd never seen such a thing, but Ben and I agreed that if we had the chance see the rainbow in its entirety, we'd surely find gold at the end of it, too; there was just no way we were risking the bears to obtain it.

Anyway, the pictures and video clips won't cooperate with me on here, but I'd be delighted to share them with those that'd like me to email them. I never thought I'd see my first full rainbow in Alaska.

No comments:

Post a Comment