Sunday, September 26, 2010

"Just call me Julius...Orange Julius."

After cutting carrots until I turned orange on Friday night, we awoke on Saturday morning to dive into a pile of Granny Smiths. We peeled and cut about 35 apples, and as we began a pot of applesauce, I realized we had no collinder to finish the job. So I called my friend Tara to raid her cupboards. On the walk over, I was trying to think of ways to juice the apples, oranges and carrots that we'd never eat before they went bad. When I got to Tara's, I was explaining that I was going to find a way to juice our extra veggies to use everything we'd paid for. Low and behold, Tara pulled out an Omega 1000! We had a juicer, a very FINE juicer to be exact, in the village for our use.

Excitedly, I took the juicer home and began making every combination of carrot, orange, apple and blackberry juice I could think of. It seemed no matter what combination we came up with, we all loved the juice, even Brandon! I didn't know the best way to store the juice, so I emptied the ice cube trays and began freezing everything we juiced. After they froze, I transfered them to a freezer bag. Then I moved onto the orange juice. We juiced about a dozen oranges, transfered them to baggies and stuck them in the freezer.

Tonight, I took the juice cubes and put them in the blender with powdered milk, a tablespoon of sugar, a little water, a teaspoon of vanilla and about a tablespoon of lemon juice. It came out milkshake thick, with the fruit juice kick! When you don't have McD's down the street or even ice cream in the freezer, this drink is heavenly! It was definitely a nice way to end our weekend

I'm proud of us for all of the food we've "put up" for the winter. It's nice to know that if the rest of our Span order never shows up, we're not going starve to death.

No comments:

Post a Comment