Friday, December 30, 2011

New Year's Eve

Well, it's New Year's Eve, and we've almost successfully endured the holiday season without lower-48 luxuries you all like to refer to as "family". Sure, everyone has their moments of sheer craziness, where a moment of silence is all they really want for Christmas or their most beloved New Year's resolution made is, "Make more time for myself," but take a year off, 3,000 miles from the chaos, and you'll understand just how deafening silence can be this time of year. At this point, even the craziest of holiday get-togethers are worth reliving, as long as there'd be a promise we could be reliving them with all of the loved ones we hold so dear in our hearts. Sappy, I know, but that's about as honestly as I can describe it.

Despite the depressing opening, things are going fairly well here. I have had plenty of time to snuggle in on the couch and watch some Disney classics since break began. I've put a dent in the laundry we've been neglecting, and even managed to do a little cooking. As time dwindles before Baby Good gets here, I've come up with some pretty idealistic plans for the house. We've rearranged a little bit to make room for the crib we've spoken for, and I've found joy in interior decorating as I use up the last of my gift cards to purchase curtains, rods, decals and other household wants. There are still a few items I'd like to claim on Amazon, but I'll wait until we've breathed a little life back into our checking account for those.

Next week, we're heading into Anchorage for another 2 appointments for me and the peanut, and an appointment for Brandon's shoulder. Apparently, something he's doing isn't agreeing with that joint, so we're going to make sure he hasn't torn anything. We're praying that the pain he's experiencing doesn't add to his already mile-long list of surgical endeavors, although it'd be just our luck that he'd need one right before his little girl makes her first appearance. We're praying for good results from both appointments, and looking forward to the next 8 weeks passing quickly. While we're not completely prepared to be parents, we also understand that if we waited until we were, we'd never have children. So, we're taking our chances and thankful we had wonderful role models to guide us through this parenting process...after all, ready or not, here she comes!

This is at 30 weeks.

Next week, we'll also be seeing the rental property we'll be staying at for 5 weeks surrounding this little girl's arrival. We're very excited to be "city-dwellers" for the short time before baby comes. My taste buds have been craving fresh produce and textures, something we've stated multiple times before as being quite inconvenient finds in the bush. We're also excited that we'll be within driving distance versus flying distance of a hospital. As the little one grows, I've noticed it becoming harder to find comfortable sitting or laying positions; two things very common to a woman 31.5 weeks pregnant. And standing for long periods of times has added a little pressure to my abdomen, but nothing I've heard that is out of the ordinary. I'm still taking my blood pressure every day, and making sure glucose and protein levels are within the normal range. I've had no swelling (knock on wood) and still wear all of my pre-pregnancy clothes, though some of them are more comfortable than others. My coworker commented that I was lucky I was still able to comfortably wear my wedding ring. I'm hoping that lucky streak continues and I only have to remove it for delivery! We'll see.

This baby loves music and dancing. As I've cleaned and cooked, Pandora has filled the lower level of our apartment with 90's pop. She moves most when rap or something with a heavy rhythm is playing, and most recently made her presence very well known to "Gangster's Paradise." While it's not my musical preference, I sure enjoy the flutters and kicks she produces when she hears it!

At the end of next week, we'll be visiting Sterling, Alaska. Sterling's a 2 hour drive down the Kenai Peninsula from Anchorage, where my friend's mother lives. We'll be visiting them the 5th and 6th. We're excited to see our friends, meet Robin's family and take in the sights that accompany the drive along Cook Inlet. I've heard the Kenai Peninsula is absolutely gorgeous, so I'm praying we have good roads and safe weather to travel in (otherwise we're staying put). Huxley will be along for the travels.

Anyway, I've attached a close-to-current belly shot (week and a half ago). I know we haven't been the greatest about updating the blog in a timely manner, and to be honest, I don't have much of an excuse, other than the fact that I'm pregnant and that excuse works for everything for another 8 weeks, right? Love to everyone as the holidays pass and the New Year approaches. We'll try to be better about keeping things updated as this peanut grows and decides to make her appearance!

Brie

No comments:

Post a Comment