Tuesday, October 12, 2010

Up River with Mickia






It's always a great day when you have a boat ride to look forward to. Tonight, we went with Mickia to check his net for white fish on the Nushagak. Luckily, we were given forewarning from the group that went last night that we'd freeze the whole way up and back unless we dressed warmer than we thought we'd need to. So, we dug out the snow pants, triple-layered our tops, found our hats and finished off our outfit with our new boots (rated to -148 degrees fahrenheit). And recalling our last trip with Mickia, I grabbed my sunglasses on the way out just in case.

Ben, Brandon, Mickia and I climbed aboard his skiff, only to find out those amazing boots of ours are not only warm, but heavier than I'm used to. I felt I was standing in cement blocks as I lifted one leg after another over the sides and seats of the boat. What a workout?! Anyway, after a 15-20 minute skiff ride up river, with brisk wind slapping our faces the entire way up, we finally came upon Mickia's subsistent net. As he pulled the net out of the water, we counted one chum, one silver and three white fish. While we were tickled, Mickia was a little disappointed in the turn-out, saying, "I knew I should have tied it closer to the shore." Next time, he says he's going to head towards a little cove where the waters are a little more shallow.

We took the skiff back down river to the shore, and made our way over to Mickia's. Mickia pulled his four-wheeler out, hooked up the trailor and went back for his skiff, indicating the end of another season. The boys put the boat on barrels and we headed towards the shed to scale the white-fish we'd pulled from the net. Mickia brought out two knives. And while I didn't volunteer to participate, it was fun watching the other three remove the scales by running the blades of the knives against the grain of their scales. It was especially entertaining when the seemingly dead fish found one more fight and flopped on the table. My heart ached for the fish being literally skinned alive. My hopes are that their nervous systems are less sensitive than what I'd imagined.

Mickia was generous and sent us home with one of the fish. I have to admit I have no idea how to handle a whole fish, head, tail and all, in the kitchen, but I'm sure someone around here will be able to show me when the time comes to thaw the little guy out.

We stayed warm throughout the trip with the exception of our faces and fingers, and were reminded of why they told us to purchase the face masks we bought but haven't worn. As for the gloves, anyone with any insight there is welcomed to share their information with me. I'll take any advice I can get!

Above are pictures of the village from the river, scaling fish and the Nushagak. Enjoy!

Brie

No comments:

Post a Comment